Introduction to the Values
The following values, and associated actions, were developed in consultation with the members of the Association and were accepted by the Committee on 03 September 2022.
The purpose of the Values is to identify priorities for Phenomenon and to provide principles-based guidance for how the Association can work to achieve its purposes.
The Values are all considered important by Phenomenon, however their order in this document is to be interpreted as an order of priority. If the Values come into conflict, it is intended that they be considered in in the following manner.
Safety > Diversity > Community > Creativity
The Values outlined in this document are a starting point for Phenomenon, not an end point. It is intended, and expected, that the Values continue to be discussed and developed by the Association.
1. Phenomenon values safety
Phenomenon aims for safety in gaming through informing players about the games before play. And enabling everyone to slow down or stop play anytime.
- The Association will show that it values safety by having statements like this, by creating rules for events, by helping designers and facilitators with safety concepts when they need it, by being clear to attendees about our commitment to the rules, and by being proactive about managing safety of all sorts for our spaces.
- Designers and Facilitators can show they value safety by thinking about their audience when they design, by informing participants in writing and in person about the content of their games, and by being attentive during the events.
- Attendees can show they value safety by following the rules, by using any safety tools, and by being attentive during the events.
2. Phenomenon values diversity
Phenomenon encourages a diversity of experiences and views and a respect for difference that must accompany this.
- The Association will show that it values diversity by learning about different diverse perspectives, by supporting them when they engage with Phenomenon, by showing appropriate tolerance and accommodation when necessary, and by seeking to include more and more diversity in the Association and in its events.
- Designers and Facilitators can show they value diversity by thinking about their audience when they design, by making appropriate accommodations, and by modelling this value when they facilitate.
- Attendees can show they value diversity by keeping the ideal of respect for others in mind.
4. Phenomenon values creativity
Phenomenon is a place where designers and players can learn from each other and grow.
- The Association will show that it values creativity by supporting new designers and facilitators in the events it curates, by providing a network of designers for the community, by arranging playtesting of games on request, by trying new things to promote roleplaying, and by actively seeking feedback through a variety of means to improve the way the Association and its events operate.
- Designers and Facilitators can show that they value creativity by exploring new ideas and new techniques in their designs and facilitation.
- Attendees can show that they value creativity by celebrating experiments and providing feedback on their experiences to the Association, Designers, and Facilitators.
- (The) Association
- Phenomenon Labs Inc. (A05476) committee, members, and non-member volunteers.
- Registered participants, approved visitors, and vendors at events organised or otherwise supported by the Association.
- Designers and Facilitators
- Writers and other contributors to games; gamemasters, co-gamemasters, and other helpers that assist the games in running.
- The community, including all the previously identified sub-groups.